The Gunjur Village Museum Gambia is a privately funded project initiated by Mr. Lamin M Bojang who was born and bred in Gunjur village. The main aim of establishing this museum was to preserve and conserve the unique history, culture, tradition and natural heritage of The Gambia, especially that of Gunjur Village. This is why the museum is located in a natural environment.
1. To ensure that historical data is collected and preserved in the museum for the benefit of both present and future generations.
2. To organize an annual conference on matters relating to cultural and natural heritage.
3. To promote tourism in Gunjur village
4. To collect and preserve all significant artifacts and maintain records and dates of any important activities affecting the village.
5. To promote and bring back the lost indigenous cultural activities and games to the village .
6. To identify all the cultural groups in the village, help them register with the National Centre for Arts and Culture and help them gain recognition at international level through international festivals.
7. To act as entry point for any researchers who may want conduct research in matters of Gunjur village and The Gambia as a whole.
8. To help facilitate the preservation, conservation and promotion of all the sacred places in the community and to help Gunjur register these as UNESCO heritage sites eg the Sand Mosque at the Gunjur beach, the central mosque of Gunjur village and the Sebendinto sacred place.
Contacts: +220 6436637
Facebook: Gunjur Village Museum The Gambia
Location: Gunjur-Berending Road, Kombo South District, West Coast Region
Working days and time: Daily from 9am to 5pm